My February reading was supposed to be drawn mainly from my F/F February Reading Challenge TBR. However, I failed to predict all of the things that February was going to throw at me, from more financial issues, to severe depression, and chronic illness flare-ups.
I quickly lost steam for completing the reading challenge and felt myself sliding into a slump. I was miserable and all I wanted to do was to immerse myself in the comfort of rereading Kate Daniels. I fought it for a while, but in the end I realised that having a set TBR was too restrictive for me, and that mood reading is a huge part of what makes reading so good for my mental health.
So I quietly failed out of the F/F February Reading Challenge. I don’t really see it as a fail though because it taught me something valuable about my reading patterns. Another thing that really helped me this past month was rigorously DNF’ing books that weren’t doing it for me, and even though I can’t help but feel a sense of failure when I do, ultimately it always feels freeing. (ETA: I totally forgot to mention this, but this post about good reading habits by Kaleena @ Reader Voracious played a huge part in my realisation that I fare better with mood reading than with a set TBR.)
All in all, I read 9 books in February, compared to the 14 books I read in January, but to be fair, February is like, only half as long as January. I managed to finish a bunch of ARCs that needed reviewing and to cross a couple of books off my F/F February TBR after all, and given my mental health struggles, I’m honestly glad I managed to do any reading at all, let alone as much as I did. To see what I read in February, take a look at my Goodreads Challenge or read on below! Clicking the book titles will take you to each book’s Goodreads page.
- Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand (4 out of 5, REVIEW)
- Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels #5.5) by Ilona Andrews (4 out of 5, Reread)
- Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels #5.4) by Ilona Andrews (5 out of 5, Reread)
- Ash by Malinda Lo (4 out of 5, REVIEW)
- Sparks of Phoenix by Najwa Zebian (4 out of 5, REVIEW)
- Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6) by Ilona Andrews (5 out of 5, Reread)
- Descendant of the Crane by Joan He (4.5 out of 5, REVIEW)
- Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels #7) by Ilona Andrews (5 out of 5, Reread)
- Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo (2 out of 5, REVIEW)
- Marriage of Unconvenience by Chelsea Cameron (DNF @ 30%, REVIEW)
- Huntress by Malinda Lo (DNF @ 27%, REVIEW)
- Feminine Rising: Voices of Power and Invisibility by Andrea Fekete, ed., Lara Lillibridge, ed. (DNF @ 50%, REVIEW)
- Mirage by Somaiya Daud (DNF @ 23%)
(Oops, I clearly need to work on making some progress with Hamilton.)
FRIDA OF THE MONTH
In order to make my blog a little more personal, I’m trying something new: monthly pictures of my dog Frida! Let me know if you like it so I know whether to make this a regular thing!
How was your February? What did you read? Let’s chat in the comments below!